Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Assessments!

I wanted to put up the data showing how well my 5th graders did and how much they learned during our quest!


The table is messed up a bit- but the columns are:

Student’s Initials
Pre-Assessment Score
Post-Assessment Result?
(+, -, or =)
Point Difference

Check it out!


R 9 10 + 1
A 8 8 = 0
D 5 8 + 3
Al 6 6 = 0
K 6 7 + 1
Ja 5 7 + 2
W 7 9 + 2
S 8 8 = 0
M 9 6 - 3
Ji 7 8 + 1
HH 6 7 + 1
T 7 9 + 2
Jam 5 7 + 2
F 5 10 + 5
Kia ? (Lost) 8 N/A -
RR 8 10 + 2
And 7 7 = 0
Ju 6 ? (Absent) N/A -


Totals:

Students who improved their scores – 11

Students whose scores went down - 1

Students whose scores stayed the same – 4

Students whose scores are not valid – 2


Tomorrow is our digital story sharing - hopefully mine will work - wish me luck!
My script is below:

“The Case of the Big Kids….”

I’m not going to lie to you….when I realized that doing the TIP Project with Faye at Greer might mean I’d be working with 4th and 5th graders, it made me a little nervous. Coming from the wonderful, magical world of Kindergarten, I knew that venturing “upstairs” was going to mean a whole other side of the school – less hugs, no more drawings for the teacher, students who could literally outsmart you, and what might even be worse, topics like Virginia State History and Life Science instead of “The Four Seasons” and “Community Helpers.” Life’s rough in 5th grade, you realize your teacher isn’t always right, there’s a lot of work involved with learning, and there are so many other distractions.
But,… I promise this story does have a happy ending. While the tables and chairs are much larger and you won’t find a sand table or the “housekeeping” corner – these students have a charm that is all their own. Upper elementary aged students can meet you halfway, they have so much personality, they tolerate nerdy teacher moments and even sometimes join in, and you can talk to them like adults. It’s really refreshing to form friendships and to watch upper-elementary aged students blossom into prepared middle schoolers. During the oceans webquest I was lucky enough to teach in their science class they were teaching me more than I was teaching them. With technology, activities and curriculum there are so many open doors because these students have such a strong independent side. In the four months I’ve spent at Greer, I do have to say that I have fallen in love with 5th grade. They have welcomed me into their classroom, found respect for me that is akin to that of their other teachers, and have taught me much more than I taught them. I hope to keep the experiences I had with my “big kid” Geckos and balance them out with my love for “the little ones” throughout my teaching career. As a pre-service teacher who once had a huge K-2 stamp across my forehead and my resume, I now feel prepared for any grade my future principal throws at me. This awareness and knowledge is something I will keep with me wherever I go.

No comments: